The goal of a content audit is to understand the current state of your website content, i.e. what content is relevant, what can be merged with other content and what can be safely removed. You can then analyze the information and organize the content based upon your users feedback, industry trends and site analytics. Theoretically, it seems a very simple process, but in practice, conducting a site audit can be a messy exercise if you don't have a plan in place.
Some reasons to conduct content audits include:
You can use our Content Audit Template for your own site audits. We've included some metrics that you might like to use, but please feel free to customize it based upon your own needs! Sign up now to receive your free download!
- Determine which pages on your site need to be updated and made more current
- Prioritize content based on key metrics
- Find content gaps and opportunities
- Creating an inventory of content assets to help estimate the redesign and the content migration efforts
- Understanding a client's content assets or information structure
- And many more...
* indicates required